Friday, November 16, 2007

Grandma's House

Good morning... What can I get for you?

How about a little story about the bank run at Starbucks. As a manager at Starbucks, you discover all sorts of cultural norms that aren't in the training manuals. Little snippets of wisdom that are passed on from partner to partner, manager to manager... and every store has a different way of approaching things.

Most of my stores had a code for doing the bank run for the day. When someone would ask, "Where's Pat?"...they would reply, "He went to Grandma's"

We had a borrowed partner filling shifts for the week and the first day he was there my DM called and asked to talk with me. He promptly says..."Oh, he went to the bank". All of the other partners on the floor gasped... "NO... he went to Grandma's"

Borrowed partner: "oh crap... I knew that too... except at more store we say the manager is visiting Uncle Charlie"

I'm sure you can all understand the need for not saying "They're at the bank", but it was always curious to me that if WE knew the codewords, wouldn't the bad guys know them too...

Doing the bank run was always one of those tasks where you instinctively watch your back and assume that everyone is a crook. There was always a sense of relief after handing over responsibility for 3-4K to the bank... I mean Grandma...

Well, I'm off to Grandma's...

Have a good weekend...

Pat Nerr...

No comments:

Welcome Message

What's this space worth?


My blog is worth $6,209.94.
How much is your blog worth?

300x250 Ads

Creative Commons License

125x125 Ads

Featured Content