Monday, November 12, 2007

Embracing Diversity?

Good morning... What can I get for you?

How about a little diversity? Starbucks has a great guiding principle of "Embracing Diversity". There's even a department devoted to creating, maintaining and reporting all things "Diverse" at Starbucks.

It's pretty easy as a company to "Embrace Diversity"... You just hire from the standard diverse categories right? You hire from your ethnic groups, get a few different lifestyles represented, have a couple of "disabled" folks around... and make sure a few of them are women... right??

So what happens when you get those folks there?

You have yourself a pretty good representation of each group... all silo'd under one roof. But it's diverse right?? You've embraced it right??

I had my first experience with hiring a person with a "disability" at my last store as a manager. You might not have even known he had a disability until you looked a little closer. I think we all saw an Asian fella... who was a bit unkept... perhaps a bit quiet at times and then a bit excitable at other times. Some of my customers even went so far as to say he was "just a little slow".

He wasn't a great partner... not the best on bar... not great at the register... not the most detailed fellow... but one heck of a great coffee taster. He also made my team a more caring team. At first they resisted. He was "different"... and you had to work harder with him... and he could be annoying with all of his crazy coffee drink concoctions. But then something happened... they moved to accept him... even protect him... and finally "include" him...

You see folks... Diversity will happen on its' own. The current trends on workforce demographics hint at this. What is more uncertain is how people will be included in the work place... or even better... how your customers will feel included.

I'll share with you another story from the SSC. The Diversity team always put together a nice compliment of ethnic and lifestyle celebrations for the partners at the SSC. Food... some learning... etc. At the time, my life partner worked at the SSC as well. We got to talking and I mentioned that there wasn't any acknowledgment of European Americans at the SSC... and I was feeling like there wasn't really a part in "Diversity" for a 30 year-old white guy... Well, I took a bit further... when talking with the folks in Diversity, I asked the question again... Lo and behold, a few months later there appeared a "European American" celebration. Now, I know that most of why that happened was because of the person I talked to... but I appreciated the gesture and they did a great job at assembling at least some learning and resources... even if we didn't get some food out of it. I have to admit... it was a bit uncomfortable at first. I mean every day is "30 year-old, white guy day" right?? ummm... no. I'm not sure anyone embraced the idea of European American day... but I did feel at least a little more included with regards to diversity.

So I suggest to you that you take a look at how you're including folks in your life, workplace and business... Diversity will take care of itself if you're including others.

What happened to the partner with the disability?? I had to let him go unfortunately... he just couldn't get there on time and attendance was big with me... can't perform if you're not there.

We'll see you tomorrow for your usual...

Pat Nerr...

No comments:

Welcome Message

What's this space worth?


My blog is worth $6,209.94.
How much is your blog worth?

300x250 Ads

Creative Commons License

125x125 Ads

Featured Content