Tuesday, November 13, 2007

15 Minutes

Good morning... What can I get for you?

How about a little story about working for free at Starbucks? Alright then.

In 1992, I started at Starbucks as a barista. After a time I began to look at more responsibility in my store and soon became a "lead clerk". Well, back in those days, the store labor was scheduled by way of pencil and paper and what was known as a "labor matrix"... Store hours, customer counts and sales dollars. That gave you your hours for the week. As a manager, you had to place the partners at the right time.

Ultimately, the manager managed to a labor percent. If you were coached properly by your DM, they'd tell you to be right at that number if you could. Maybe a little less, but not more.

Well, my manager used to like to run 2 percent under... as a practice. The amount of tasks was always the same, but the response to getting it done through labor was always this... "we don't have the labor dollars! But you're welcome to stay an extra 15 minutes to help out."

Being the enthusiastic Lead and wanting to move into an ASM role, I obliged. The holidays crept up and those 15 minute periods became 30 minute periods... and then 60 minute periods. Don't get me wrong, the store looked great! The back stock was always organized and our 500lbs of various coffees could be easily searched and inventoried.

So, one day as things started to slow down after the holidays, I asked my manager about the labor percent and could we maybe start paying me for my time...

Pat: "Hey Cole... The store looks great, everything is in its' place. The merchandise is sharp. I think I'd like to start working on the clock again since we're o.k. on labor now."

Cole: "Well, Pat... You've really done a great job at helping us control labor... and as you look at moving up... and we MAY have an ASM role open soon in the district, you might as well get used to working a few extra hours."

Pat: "I get that... I think until that happens, I need to start trying to get all of that done within my paid shift."

Cole: "Well, If you're going to be part of Starbucks management, you need to do what it takes... and I think there's no better way to do that than showing our DM and me how committed you are."

Pat: "I just think I may be getting burned out... and I think I've shown you for close to a year how committed I am... I mean, crap... I stayed yesterday an extra hour to sell that $300 Gaggia machine and that was a total sale of $480... and I'm making $6.85 an hour... I think I helped pay for a few hours of labor."

Cole: "I know... But how bad do you want to be an ASM?"

So that conversation didn't go as planned... and I continued to work the extra time, knowing that the store looked nicer and things ran a bit smoother. About 8 months later, I started my RMT training and took an ASM role... still working for Cole.

Would I do all of that again?? I think I probably would... and I'd track all of my time like I did before. You'd be surprised how much 15 minute increments can add up over time.

Don't work for free... ever...

We'll see you tomorrow for your usual...

Pat Nerr...

No comments:

Welcome Message

What's this space worth?


My blog is worth $6,209.94.
How much is your blog worth?

300x250 Ads

Creative Commons License

125x125 Ads

Featured Content