Friday, December 28, 2007

An Open Apology

Good morning... What can I get for you?

Today's story is more of an apology to a partner I worked with. Here goes.

In 1995, I was given the opportunity to work at Alderwood Mall as the assistant. Just for six months... The idea was to see if I could handle some volume at the 3rd busiest store during the holidays. So when I arrived, one of the first tasks the manager gave me to do was to give one of our partners, his review. His name was Josh. He was a young guy and not thinking much about his future. This drove me crazy about him... but he was a nice guy and well loved. He was an excellent barista and person. He just was a little flaky at times. Late for work occasionally... calls in sick after drinking too much... that sort of stuff.

So back to the review... I read over the prepared review form and then understood why I was given this task. He was being railed. Nice. We both sat down...

Josh: Why isn't Laura doing my review?
Pat: I'm not sure man... The only thing I can gather by reading what was prepared, is that I have to give you the bad news about your performance.
Josh: What?? I thought I was at a superior level.
Pat: Ok... Here's what we're going to do. Let's look over Laura's feedback, then let's have a talk about where you think you excel. Let's see where the gaps are and then... I'll give you my take on the whole thing... Lastly, I'm going to need you to think about the areas you need to improve and write them down. I'll help you along the way by reminding you of the stuff you committed to.
Josh: Ok. I was really hoping to talk about being a Lead Clerk.

Pat: Ok... we can get to that afterwards.

So, that was the start of our relationship. It grew from there. We worked closely together after that day. We double-barred as the "cocktail team"... he sang to customers. We played off of each other and lovingly crafted thousands of beverages for thousands of customers. We both really invested in getting him to Shift Supervisor. I also knew that Josh would never get a fair shake until Laura was gone. Fortunately for him, she left a few months after the review happened.

Fast forward to 1996... Josh and I were still pals. Even though we worked at different stores... We still hung out occasionally. We always joked about having him come work for me at the store I was at. I told him that when I had a Shift Supervisor opening, he could come work for me. Well... he moved on to be an RMT... and then an assistant manager. He did quite well, but never really loved it. A year later, he stepped down to Shift again. The great thing was that I had a Shift Supervisor spot open... and I offered it to him. He accepted. He was to come to my store in 3 weeks.

Something happened (and here's where the apology comes in)... Two days before he was supposed to arrived, my DM called with an emergency and needed me to move to a badly performing store... the one where "The Competition" took place.... and I needed to go in 2 days. My pal Angela, was chosen to take my place.

So, Josh shows up to work for me and on his first day who does he get to talk to? Angela... not me. And he was bummed... and I never apologized the way I should have. We remained friends after the switch, but I knew he was pretty hurt and disappointed. I was too wrapped up in being ambitious to apologize properly.

So I'm doing it now... Sorry Josh. You've been a way better friend to me that I have to you. We're both gone from the company now, but if I ever get the chance to work with you again... I'm not gonna drop the ball on that one.

We'll see you on Monday for some Starbucks New Years Resolutions...

Pat Nerr...

No comments:

Welcome Message

What's this space worth?


My blog is worth $6,209.94.
How much is your blog worth?

300x250 Ads

Creative Commons License

125x125 Ads

Featured Content