Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A little clarification for my "friend"

Good morning... What can I get for you?

How about a visit from the INBOX? Sunday night I received a covert e-mail from within the HR group. It started out with "In your quest to bring down a corporate giant..."

The writer was letting me know that 2 of my former colleagues had been let go... he... or she... let me know that I was responsible for it. This "friend" of mine went on to include my kids in the discussion and further call out how ridiculous this site is...

Of course I needed to thank them for the nice, spy-vs-spy note, but soon discovered that they quickly deleted the e-mail account. It's like they knew the LEGAL implications of sending out such mail.

Well, I'm sure said reader comes here every now and then, so I'll just clarify some things right here and now... so here goes.
  1. The "point" of this site is not to "bring down a corporate giant". The point is to bring some transparency to an organization that has developed a very dark and smelly underbelly. To surface the actions of individuals that feel that it is o.k. and consistent with the company's guiding principles to treat partners as line items. To reveal the discussions that happen behind closed doors that eventually affect the everyday average partner in some way. Yes.. my "friend"... they are in fact whittling away at the HR group with plans to outsource as many things as possible... and this is going to happen quickly and as cheaply as possible. The leadership will use everything they can to avoid costly severance packages... I assure you that this is not a recent decision... your "leader" has been working on this for a while... surely you have noticed many folks leaving on their own as well. Surely you have noticed that there are no resources to get your work done or develop ways of making it easier...

  2. While I know you're convinced that I capitalized off of information given to me by "friends"... I can assure you that this is not true. There are many partners inside of your building, from various departments that are pissed enough at the current state of affairs to willingly share information. You'd be surprised who has reached out and from where... So, it's not fair or accurate for you to assume that they were stripped of their dignity because of something posted here. Now, I'm a pretty intuitive person, so my guess is that your frustration is guided by the disappointment of 2 great partners (who have both contributed great things... Coffee Master, Core to name a couple) being ousted by a jackass of a leader... and yes, I said jackass. Look inside of your heart, I know you've heard over the cubicle walls the rumblings of said leader... I know that you too have thought of him as a jackass... I too heard these things in my time there... Yet, he still persists... and thrives... Anyway... I share your disappointment. Actually, my disappointment is far greater. Perhaps this little story will help you understand. About a year ago, one of the released partners called a team meeting (all 3 of us at the time) to ask us to separate ourselves from him as he felt he was a "sinking ship" and he wanted us to look out for ourselves. He warned us that we were not valued by current leadership and that our days were numbered. I know you didn't know this... you weren't there. So you tell me... is it better to just get rid of those who speak out or stop for a minute to think that maybe there is a bigger problem going on. Treat the sickness, not the symptom.

  3. Lastly, there is a more positive purpose to this space... To share some of the good times. To help people understand that it was not always this way. It was different. Partners trusted and cared... they cared so much that they told leadership how they felt. It was special. I will concede that I am no Shakespeare or Hemingway... but I do speak from my heart.
So there you go... I hope this clarifies things for you a bit. The square wheels are a-turnin' at Starbucks and you may or may not find out that in the last month, there has been a reduction of 100+ partners (voluntary and involuntary). That number is going to increase over the next 4-5 months. As you've been told... there are no sacred cows. Just sayin'... from friend to friend...

oh and next time... just call me instead... I mean, we're friends right?

No comments:

Welcome Message

What's this space worth?


My blog is worth $6,209.94.
How much is your blog worth?

300x250 Ads

Creative Commons License

125x125 Ads

Featured Content